Elliott Carter Studies Online is an online journal devoted to the music, life, and times of the American composer Elliott Carter (1908-2012). We welcome submissions on a wide range of topics; there are no restrictions on disciplinary perspective or format. We publish history, theory, performance practice, personal essays, aesthetics, biography, criticism, analysis, and media. We encourage performers, composers, musicologists, historians, theorists, and “friends of Elliott” to submit full-length articles for anonymous peer review, as well as short essays and notes, commentary, analytical vignettes, oral history, reviews, and media.
Submissions may be specifically about Elliott Carter and his music or may focus on broader topics of relevance to Carter Studies, such as music and politics, music and philosophy, music and poetry, theoretical work that bears on Carter's music, etc. Submissions may include hyperlinks, audio, video, animation, photographs, etc., provided they have been cleared for use by the copyright holder. Please note that we do not consider work that has been published or is under review or scheduled for publication elsewhere.
- We accept work in two categories: scholarly articles, which are peer-reviewed anonymously by two readers, and “Carteriana,” which includes oral history, personal essays, media, and the like. Authors should identify the category of their submission.
- Text files are accepted in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), and Rich Text (.rtf) formats. Media files may be in .aif, .wav, .mp3, .mov, or mp4 formats.
- Musical examples and other graphics should be submitted as 600ppi .png (bitmap) files, one file per example, each file clearly identified. Examples should be no wider than 3500 pixels. A caption in the text must identify the location of each example or other graphic. Photographs may be submitted as 1200ppi .tif files or as high-resolution .jpg files (minimum 600ppi).
- Please include – as a separate text file – a single page containing:
- Type of submission (scholarly or “Carteriana” )
- Author's name
- Institutional affiliation (if applicable)
- Full mailing address
- Email address
- Title of the submission
- A 250-word abstract
- A complete list of submitted files
Manuscript Preparation for Scholarly Articles
- Elliott Carter Studies Online uses a blind peer review process for scholarly articles. Please remove any self-identifying information from all submitted files.
- Currently we are only able to accept manuscripts written in English. We request that authors adhere to the guidelines on non-sexist language developed by the Society for Music Theory, which may be found HERE.
- All text, including footnotes, quotations, references cited, indented material, and captions, should be double-spaced. For the main body of the text please use 12-point type and a standard typeface such as Times or Palatino. Margins should be 1.5 inches on all sides, with only the left-hand margin justified. Please use consecutively numbered footnotes rather than endnotes.
- Citations must be in author-date format (see Chapter 15 of the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, 2010) and a bibliography of works cited must be included.
- See above for instructions on submitting graphics and media files. A caption in the text must identify the location of each example or other graphic.